Rail systems are literally the backbone of commerce and its protection is critical to a nation’s economy. As the Association of American Railroads (AAR) puts it, the railroad “factory floor” in the US is outdoors and more than 140,000 miles long, making it challenging to effectively secure with conventional approaches.
Freight railroad carriers face multiple threats across a wide range of critical assets ranging from bridges, tunnels, rail crossings, and railcar storage yards, making the security task complex, costly, and challenging to implement.
Additionally, rail vandalism costs the industry millions of dollars, while the sight of graffiti-covered cars, some carrying toxic chemicals, is a jolting reminder of the seriousness of rail security.
People responsible for protecting rail assets are often concerned about:
- Detecting intruders with high reliability over expansive sites
- Gaining early awareness about intrusions so there is time to react
- Maintaining the integrity of railyard cars from potential sabotage
- Addressing a wide range of threats, from theft and vandalism to sabotage, over multiple assets – railroads, bridges, and tunnels
- Liability and high costs from railcar theft or vandalism
Even with these challenges, technologies exist that rail organizations can employ to effectively eliminate the risks.
SightLogix SightSensors are being used to protect rail applications around the world because they deliver the accurate, reliable detection necessary to maintain the highest level of awareness that protect these vital transportation resources.
Our clients have turned to SightLogix smart thermal cameras to address rail security challenges for a number of reasons, including:
- Our system’s unmatched analytic detection performance, which detects and acquires an intruder’s speed, bearing, and geo-location in milliseconds – for the fastest preemptive response
- The power of our geospatial system to provide early-warning over the large sites typical of rail applications – over hundreds of meters far and wide
- Our system’s ability to automatically zoom and follow a detected target for real-time assessment
- The ability to provide a video analytic “blanket” of security around railyard to mitigate vandalism or sabotage
- SightSensors’ unprecedented thermal video clarity to quickly assess a security event as it unfolds
We work directly with our clients and their integrators to develop a complete design solution that uses SightLogix smart cameras to provide comprehensive protection over these important assets.
Even with these challenges, SightLogix solutions offer an adaptable, flexible and effective solution to meet the complexities, eliminate the risks, and keep our communities safe.
With a proven track record of providing a high level of security for rail organizations, our clients can expect:
- Excellent detection with minimal nuisance alarms
- Reduced infrastructure and maintenance costs from reliable, long-range systems built to survive the toughest elements
- A system that is very easy to install, setup and maintain
- Outstanding support from the SightLogix team
When looking for a solution that provides the highest level of detection performance and that is used around the world to protect rail perimeters, our clients choose SightLogix.