- August 3, 2023
- Posted by: Eric Heller
- Category: Blog
Critical energy systems demand optimal protection. Highly publicized events, such as attacks on substation perimeters in Washington State, Oregon and North Carolina, have brought a new sense of urgency around the need for perimeter protection for electrical utilities to help prevent unauthorized access, theft, and acts of sabotage.
This is something we recognize every day at SightLogix. For almost twenty years, we’ve been helping utilities protect their sites from perimeter intrusions with great success.
We know it’s not always easy finding a solution that detects intruders with high accuracy, low false alarms, and justifiable costs. Based on our decades of experience protecting electrical utility perimeters, we’ve created a comprehensive guide that helps breaks down some of the issues and explains how smart thermal and visible intruder detection solutions can improve the security of your utility infrastructure, reduce risks, and ensure uninterrupted operations.
Our guide covers topics such as:
- Achieving reliable detection of human intruders while minimizing disturbances caused by wildlife, foliage, or environmental factors
- How AI-enabled PTZs can look in the right place when an event occurs
- How thermal imaging technology can detect intrusions in complete darkness or adverse weather conditions
- How longer range and wide-area systems provide early warning outside, inside, and at the fence – over hundreds of meters
- How edge-based analytics acquire an intruder’s speed, bearing, and geo-location in milliseconds – enabling the fastest response
- How dual-sensor systems intelligently detect, compare, and confirm results before sending an alarm
- How smart thermal solutions help meet NERC CIP guidance to Detect, Deter, Assess, Communicate, and Respond
We hope this guide will help you make informed decisions about securing your utility infrastructure and keep your operations safe and running smoothly. You can download the guide here.